CONSTRUCTION HAZARDS - THE CRITICAL 8
SRS Insurance Team... would like to remind workers of the typical construction hazards we see regularly with our clients, with hopes that everyone will put safety first and correct hazards as they find them...
1. HOUSEKEEPING- Not enough can be said about maintaining a clean work area! Keeping your area swept and free from debris not only prevents tripping hazards, but it makes it easier to preform your work. Make sure stored materials are stacked neatly and away from work areas.
2. EXTENSION CORDS- Make sure cord sets have a grouding plug in place before using. If insulation on cords is damaged, take the cords out of service. Raise extension cords to prevent tripping hazard.
3. ELECTRICAL PANELS- All panels and boxes must have cover in place to prevent electrical shock. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupers (GFCI) should be required on all circuits that will be used for portable power tools.
4. SCAFFOLDING- Elevated working surfaces must be fully planked with toe boards, hand rails and mid rails installed. Scaffolds must be erected with vertical members resting on a solid base with the scaffold being level. NEVER climb the outside of a scaffold; ladders are required.
5. LADDERS- Step ladders are a major source of construction accidents. Make sure they are used properly and maintained in good repair. Remove broken or damaged ladders from service immediately. Nvery lean step ladders against a wall or work surface. Never seperate extension ladders. Always make sure extension ladders are tied off. NEVER climb a ladder while carrying tools or materials. Instead, use a hoist line.
6. SLIPPERY SURFACES- Make sure sand or some other slip resistant material is applied to ice walking surfaces. Clean up oil and water spills immediately. Another serious cause of slips is welding rod ends, stubs from conduit and small diameter pipe.
7. LIGHTING- Most construction areas require a minimum of 5 ft candles. If you are having a hard time seeing your work, then you need to let someone know and get something done about it. Stairways are a common problem area and require good lighting.
8. EYE PROTECTION- It is too common to see workers who need eye protection not wearing it. The typical reason is because they did not have glasses with them. Wearing safety glasses all the time prevents this situation. Safety glasses alone are not adequate for tasks that create flying particulate matter such as grinding or cutting. Wear a face shield as well.
Thanks for reading and if we can help you in any way please feel free to give us a call!
SRS Insurance group
Toll Free 1-877-222-8765